Sunday, January 16, 2011

First Blog!

I've never been one to jump on the bandwagon (not right away, anyway), but I'm just bored enough with my life to give a shot :-p

So here's where I'm at in the world...

1. I recently completed a Master's Degree at the New England Conservatory in underwater bassoon playing (more difficult than it sounds). Er, okay, lies. I play trumpet, ORCHESTRAL trumpet. Not Jazz- I love and respect jazz music too much to ever allow my white and super square notes touch the ears of the masses. 


So what does "orchestral" trumpet mean anyway? basically, that I wish I had a job with an orchestra and will spend most of my life perfecting 100s of 1-2 minute excerpts until I get one. Exciting, huh? Well, fortunately there are plenty of little freelancing gigs to keep my feet wet while I harvest my craft. 




i need a pic with our new bass bone: Phil
2. Currently, I have a killer brass quintet (Redlinebrassquintet.info) and we're doing an Outreach Fellowship at the Longy School of Music in Cambridge (harvard area). We keep busy with recitals, projects, and educational concerts for local schools. Get this: we taught a bunch of kids to clap a double cannon and understand how it fit into our music! pretty "badass" as Steve would say. 

Outside of quintet, I play with orchestras around town like Boston Philharmonic (not to be mistaken with the Boston Symphony... I wouldn't be blogging if I had that gig :-p) and a flourishing chamber orchestra, the Discovery Ensemble. Since playing with practically every community orchestra within a 100 mile radius and putting on shows for inner city schools regularly, I feel strongly connected to Boston/New England. I have a feeling I could be here for a long time.




3. ME? well, 2011 is a new decade, I'd prefer to start with a clean slate! I'm 25, single, and living it up with my faithful companion Sancho Schteve. I like going bowling on mondays at Kings, blue grass on tuesdays at the Cantab Lounge, watching Tosh.0 and playing madden football with my roommates, not to mention religiously attending BSO college card concerts every week. 



So there it is friends and fam. I'll try to update occasionally or when ever the muse strikes me. Hope you enjoy my bloooog. Things you can expect to see in the future: awesome new music I'm listening to, redline bq events, interesting new Boston experiences, things that are "bad-A", and of other stuff I haven't thought of yet.

aufweidersehen! 

Kyle




5 comments:

  1. You HAVE to keep blogging as a BSO member. Don't think you can get off the hook so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Please tell me the title of your blog is referring to this song.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkpujKDSTTo

    Hair aside, I think I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually, it's referring to THIS song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLDIsNb5jxs

    ReplyDelete
  4. mm. That's what I thought originally...haha. But then I looked up Sovay to see what it was and started a whole new foray into English folk music. God, I'm dorky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we're not so different; you and I... :-)

    ReplyDelete